Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Suffering Problem

It seems like Haiti just cant catch a break, with another aftershock that rocked them after the apocalyptic magnitude 7 quake that decimated the country just a few days ago.

Of course there are always those people that use this tragedy to leverage their argument against the existence of God. The claim from people is how a "Loving and good God could not exist if He allows that kind of suffering to happen." It's the same thing we heard after the Tsunami that killed 250,000 and after Hurricane Katrina that destroyed New Orleans.

What intrigues me about those comments is that, in them, is a sense of "fair play" or "justice" and that people, should not suffer or be excluded, die of hunger or suffer tragedy. However, evolutionary theory and natural selection depend on death and destruction to separate the strong from the weak, and so these things should just be natural.

So, by what basis do those people judge what is horribly wrong, or unfair and unjust? In those claims they assume that there is some standard of what is right or wrong or fair and just.

I am, like everyone else saddened by the tragedy in Haiti and never like seeing people suffer, but what I am sure of is that my God, who is real, is also sovereign and just and has reasons for things beyond what my small human mind can comprehend.

So I will put my trust in the Lord and not trust my own logic. Proverbs 3:5



No comments:

Post a Comment